Tuesday, September 9, 2008

In the Beginning...

"The fact is, that to do anything in the world worth doing, we must not stand back shivering and thinking of the cold and danger, but jump in and scramble through as well as we can."
Robert Cushing

Well, this is the beginning, so to speak, of my Web 2.0 journey. As the anxiety builds beginning this class, I realize that it is a "good kind of anxiety" as I explore further many topics that I have "tinkered" with in the past. None the less, I once again wonder how I am going to balance everything that happens from now until Christmas (only 3 1/2 short months away). While I think about that, my wife arrives home from her school open house and asks me why the lights are on downstairs while I'm upstairs? My simple explanation that "I'm working" draws a familiar questioning look from her. I think about trying to explain to her that upstairs on my laptop I'm planning my literature group for tomorrow and trying to track down a resource that we discussed in a meeting today, while downstairs on our desktop, I'm logged into Web CT, checking home email, trying to decide which blog website I'm going to use and of course, most importantly, checking out the latest headlines on CBS Sportsline (by the way did you know Lance Armstrong is planning on making a comeback next year to pursue his 8th Tour de France victory? And Regina native punter John Ryan, who was just recently released by the Green Bay Packers signed today with the Seattle Seahawks? Priorities, priorities, I know) but realize I'd better just leave it as it is!

So what role does technology play in our lives today? Hmmm....let me think about that while I check my online banking. I certainly know that I'd be lost without our 2 computers, never mind only 1 computer and an iPod touch. Many questions bounce around my brain as I wonder how we best utilize Web 2.0 tools in our schools and in our personal lives. As I maneuver and explore the various Web 2.0 tools through this course I hope to gain a deeper understanding of the power that Web 2.0 can leverage in student learning and put into practice my findings. 

I am looking forward to this course and learning from all my classmates, instructors and the virtual world that surrounds me!

No comments: